Music is an integral part of educational life at ZIS and we strive to inspire and nuture the love of music. All chilldren have the opportunity to be involved in music as part of their music lessons at school as well as participating in band, strings or choir.
The Music Academy offers the opportunity for students to take private instrument lessons conveniently on school campuses. Lessons are arranged directly between the parent and the teacher.
In Kindergarten to Grade 2 students experience music in a general music environment. Through the use of singing, dancing and playing games and instruments, students learn to enjoy music while gaining an understanding of how the basic concepts of music function. They begin to read, create and experience new and exciting ways to express themselves through music.
In Grade 3 students move from a general music setting to one which incudes a focus on the recorder and all of the requirements needed to perform on an instrument.
From Grade 4, and into Grade 5, students can select from three specialized ensembles: band, strings and choral where they chose to learn either a band or orchestral string instrument or continue in the broad music program that focuses on voice as a performance instrument.
Lower School music ensembles and classes perform at least twice per year as part of the curricular program and serve to demonstrate growing musical knowledge, skills and confidence.
- In Grade 6 all students study music for a minimum of one semester (band, choir or strings) or they can elect to study music for the whole year in the Middle School Band or String Ensemble.
- In Grades 7 and 8 students can choose year long electives in Band or String Ensemble or a semester course in Choir.
- There are a number of performances throughout the year including the Winter and Spring Arts Festivals as well as special projects like "Bands Together".
- Students who enrol in a music performance course (band, choir or strings) have the opportunity to audition for the AMIS (Association for Music in International Schools) Middle School Honor Band, Orchestra or Choir.
- In Grades 9-12 students have the option to choose courses in Concert Band, String Orchestra or Concert Choir.
- Concert Band and String Orchestra is for experienced woodwind, brass, percussion and string instrument players with the primary goal to create and experience music in a group, while understanding the role and responsibilities of the individual. There are several public performances each year.
- Advanced members of these music groups may have the opportunity to prepare an audition for the AMIS (Association of Music in International Schools) International Honor Band Festival or International Honor Orchestra Festival.
- Concert Choir is a performance-based course. Students work on proper vocal technique, tone and good intonation. Singers are challenged to learn and perform a wide variety of vocal and choral music from classical, pop, jazz, tradtional and world music. Students participate in several concerts throughout the year and maybe eligile to audition for the International Choir Festival.
- Students participating in Choir, Band or Strings may be considered for IB Music or AP Music Theory. Full details of the upper school music curriculum can be found in the Upper School Program of Studies.