Welcome from the Director
Welcome to Zurich International School (ZIS), where more than 1,200 students learn and develop in a challenging and nurturing multicultural environment.
Learn, Care, Challenge, Lead are the cornerstones of ZIS' mission.
As parents, we all ache with dreams for our children. Parents who choose ZIS are making the best possible choice for educational pathways that will prepare their child to thrive academically, socially and emotionally, wherever their journey – or your family’s next move – takes them. What’s most important is that we instill a love of learning in preparation for a life empowered by learning, confidence and the ability to collaborate effectively with others from around the world.
As the longest accredited international school in Switzerland, we have a long track record of doing just that. ZIS provides a robust academic foundation with enough choices to allow students to chart their own path: we are a global learning community that offers both challenge and support for each student, and the many pathways through ZIS – whether International Baccalaureate or Advanced Placement, or international program or the bilingual program, for example – are complemented by learning adventures in and out of the classroom
As you come to learn more about ZIS, you will realize that we offer a transferable, transformational education that is open to everyone, but which also offers a unique pathway for each student. We encourage students to try new things so they can figure out what inspires them. In this way, students leave ZIS prepared for the next step in their academic journey, whether that is another international school, a public school here in Switzerland or back home – or off to university or professional training.
But it is not just about academic preparation: we are deeply committed to helping prepare young people to thrive in a complex, global community. That means we focus on the whole child, on their character development, as well as on their academic progress. Students are known and supported here. Our approach to teaching challenges students without overwhelming them, and it allows them to develop their character and protect their mental health in the process.
We aspire to be the K-12 international education institution of choice in the Greater Zurich Area, and to prepare students to unlock their highest potential and contribute to the community and the world in which they work and live. That is why we offer a bilingual pathway alongside our international pathway in Lower School: we want to bring international and local students together to develop mutual understanding and strong language skills, in both English and German, along with other world languages.
At ZIS, as a not-for-profit organization, we are always looking forward and always learning, all income is directed toward what’s best for our students. We strive hard to develop new ways to better engage our students, and to grow as a community. To that end, we invite active parent engagement, partnership and support.
I hope you enjoy learning more about ZIS as you browse our website and hopefully make your way to campus for a visit. I am confident you will find that ZIS will help each of your children become the very best version of themselves.
- ZIS is the longest accredited international school in Switzerland and was founded in 1963.
- ZIS is truly international! We have more than 1,200 students representing over 70 nationalities, speaking 40 mother-tongue languages. English is the language of instruction other than for students on our bilingual pathway (German/English).
- ZIS is currently comprised of three campuses and offers large school "opportunities" in small learning communities.
- ZIS graduates are consistently admitted to the best universities in the world.
- ZIS has a bilingual pathway meeting the requirements of the Swiss Lehrplan 21 curriculum.
- ZIS has over 250 highly experienced and qualified professionals.
- ZIS goes out of its way to meet the learning needs of each student and promote the development of individual learning pathways.
- ZIS parents play an integral role in our school community, where they are partners in their children’s education.
- ZIS is registered as a non-profit organization (Stiftung) in Switzerland and affiliated with a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organisation in the United States.
- Arrange a visit to one of ZIS’ three campuses, all easily accessible and in close proximity to Zurich
- Talk to students, parents, teachers or administrators
- Most importantly, if you have a question please let us know how we can help, we want to hear from you!
Building the Future of Learning
Our new, state-of-the-art Middle School will open for the 2022/23 school year, adjacent to its purpose-built Upper School in Adliswil.
The ZIS Perspective
Articles by Director Lisa Lyle in the ZIS community magazine
It’s been an extraordinary year, and our community has adapted with resilience and kindness.
It’s good to talk: how your feedback is helping to shape our school’s direction and ensure future success.
Proud and inspired: I’m ready to work with you all to write a new chapter in ZIS’s celebrated history.