Whom do we serve?
ZIS serves the educational needs of the international community in the Greater Zurich area.
Students may enter ZIS until mid-Grade 7 (3-12 years old) without any prior English proficiency (ZIS Language Policy).
Admission is open to all students who, in the school's opinion, will benefit from a challenging, international, English language education which prepares them for higher education.
ZIS admits students whose academic, personal, social, and emotional needs can be met by the school's programs and services.
All ZIS campuses provide support for students with mild to moderate learning difficulties. In addition, for students in Kindergarten to Grade 12, ZIS offers Intensive Learning Provision (ILP) which serves students who benefit from small group and individual instruction and flexible programming (see Student Support).
The full ZIS Admissions Policy document is available here.
- Early ZIS - from 3rd birthday from the first Monday in the month following a child's 3rd birthday (toilet trained - no diapers/nappies) )
- Pre-School - age 3 by August 31 (toilet trained - no diapers/nappies)
- Pre-Kindergarten - age 4 by August 31
- Kindergarten - age 5 by August 31
- Grade 1 - age 6 by August 31
- Grade 2 - age 7 by August 31
- Grade 3 - age 8 by August 31
- Grade 4 - age 9 by August 31
- Grade 5 - age 10 by August 31
To start at the Lower School (in Kindergarten), students must be 5 years of age by August 31.
Middle School/Upper School (Grades 6-12)
Students entering from mid-year Grade 7 and above must be able to demonstrate English proficiency.
Students entering Grades 11 or 12 must give evidence of near-native English proficiency.
Applicants to Grades 9 or 10 must have sufficient math skills to pass an Algebra 1 course.
Students 19 years or older are not normally admitted to ZIS.
Grade and course placements are made on the basis of previous school performance and, when appropriate, placement test results.