John Mattern Alumni Award for Faculty
The Mattern Award is named for the first headmaster of the school, an educator renowned for his ability to inspire and influence students and faculty alike. The award recognizes a former faculty member who has provided an exceptionally high degree of individual attention to, and concern for, students in all areas of school life.
Nominate here the staff or faculty member that had the greatest impact on your education!
Not sure if the person you're nominating qualifies? Look for their name on this list of past faculty and staff.
Honorees by year
- 2019 Honoree: Andreas Meitanis (AISZ / ZIS 1986 - 2018)
- 2018 Honoree: Margaret Smith (AISZ 1972 - 1983)
- 2017 Honoree: Regina Lanford (AISZ / ZIS 1987 - 2015)
- 2016 Honoree: Dick Killen (AISZ 1972 - 1990)
- 2015 Honoree: Ian Deleay (AISZ 1963-1990)
- 2014 Honoree: Mike Marlow (AISZ / ZIS 1988-2005)
- 2013 Honoree: Fowler Stillman (AISZ 1967-1989)
At Zurich International School – previously the American International School of Zurich (AISZ) and the International Primary School of Zurich (IPSZ) – there have been many extraordinary faculty members throughout our 50+ year history – teachers valued for their subject knowledge, teaching style, joy of working with students in and outside of the classroom, and extraordinary communication and mentoring skills.
The alumni of ZIS, along with the school, will honor these talented educators annually through the Mattern Award.
The honored faculty member will:
- receive a prize of CHF 1,500 (initial funding provided by generous alumni donors)
- be invited to campus and honored at a reception in his or her honor
- speak before students and faculty and attend classes
- be featured in ZIS communications and in a special wall of recognition
- as available, attend alumni events locally and globally.
- each January/February all alumni will be asked (via online and printed communications) to submit nominations for the award, based on certain criteria.
- a committee of alumni will select the final winner in March based on the nominations.
- the winner for the next school year will be announced later in the spring.
"How do you really make a difference to your community – and what does it feel like when you do?"
ZIS parents and alumni discuss how donating their time, energy and funds - including through the John Mattern Award - has had a transformational impact on student and school life.