Every student explores a wide range of co-curricular activities, from arts to sports, from STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) to Model United Nations. Because exploring is a vital part of growing. We encourage students to try new things, so that they can discover who they really want to be.
After School Activities
The Lower School co-curricular program is offered to all students in the Bilingual and International Programs from Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 5 and activities are included in the tuition fees.
Activities are offered by different grade levels and students in both programs participate in the same activities.
The program offers activities, athletics (competitive and non-competitive), and leadership opportunities and is run over three seasons - fall, winter and spring. In addition, there are privately-run activities on campus, such as private mother tongue language clubs.
To allow for a greater focus on age/developmentally-appropriate activities, students in:
- Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 3 can choose two activities each season.
- Grade 4 can choose two activities each season
- Grade 5 can choose up to three activities each season, the third one being an all year-long "leadership opportunity" activity
- Private mother tongue language clubs are counted as an additional activity. There may be a fee for these sessions.
Example activities for all Lower School children
Maths fun and games
Robotics, drones and programming
STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering & Maths)
First Lego League Jr.
Art makers and shakers
Into the woods
... and more
ZIS Dance troupe
North American Sports
Track & Field
As part of our activities program we also offer a competitive athletics program at the Lower School for older students in:
- Cross-country running
- Downhill ski racing
- Track and field
There are challenging leadership opportunities, and opportunities to represent the school, through:
- Student Council
- Student Ambassadors
- Math Quest
- Model United Nations
- National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)
- Eco-schools and the ZIS Sports Leaders program.