Information for Students 2020/21
Please view the sections below for an overview of the Career Forum. When you have reviewed this section, please visit the Sector Overviews section to help you choose the sessions you would like to attend.
Career Forum Sessions
Please find below a description of the career fields being offered, possible jobs within that field, examples of companies worldwide as well as personality types following the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
You should review each career area and use the information to help you choose which sessions you would like to attend at the Career Forum.
- Banking, Finance and Insurance
- Business Management / Business Development
- Creative Arts
- Digital Media
- Digital Technology
- Education, Training and Coaching
- Engineering and Architecture
- Entrepreneurship and Management Consulting
- Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management
- Medicine, Veterinary, Dentistry and Psychology
- Public Service, International Relations, NGO
- Sales, Marketing and Communications
- Science, Life-Sciences & Pharmaceutical
- Sports, Health and Fitness
Banking, Finance & Insurance professionals provide services across many areas including: financial and investment planning; financial reporting; retail, corporate, investment and private banking, insurance finance (risk analysis) as well as business financial management – the planning, organizing, controlling and monitoring of the financial resources of an organization.
- Do you like working with numbers and its supporting technology?
- Do you have an analytical, detail oriented and logical approach to problem solving?
- Do you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment both independently and as part of a team?
- Do you have strong communication, management and leadership skills?
- Do you have strong project and time management skills?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ISTJ, ISFP, INTP, ESTP, ENTP, ESTJ, ENTJ
Possible careers in this area: This is a very broad career field that includes securities and investments, personal (individual), business (corporate) and public (governmental) finance, accounting, banking and alternative investments such as hedge funds and private equity. Specific to the insurance industry are actuaries, underwriters or claims adjusters who analyse risks and losses.
Examples of financial banks and insurances worldwide: Credit Suisse, UBS, Citibank, JPMorgan, HSBC, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, AIA Group, AXA S.A., Berkshire Hathaway, Swiss re Ltd., Lloyd’s
Business Management involves planning, directing and evaluating business functions within an organisation to implement departmental and organisational goals, policies and procedures. This would include negotiating to improve contracts or agreements; analysing financial statements. Management is a “people job” and being able to build relationships is key to successfully manage the business in general
- Do you have strong interpersonal, motivational and communication skills?
- Are you a natural leader with strong mentoring, delegation and solution oriented skills?
- Do you have strong analytical skills?
- Do you enjoy networking?
- Do you have strong planning, problem solving and decision making skills?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ISTJ, ISFJ, ENTP, ESTJ, ENTJ
This is a very broad career field where people from various academic paths can eventually fulfill management positions within companies without necessarily studying business management.
These career fields also include: Human Resources (HR), logistics and distribution manager, brand marketing, marketing executives, sales executive, system analysts, retail managers, financial officers, chief executive officer, training specialists.
Examples of companies worldwide: Volkswagen, Exxonmobil, GE, Mondelez, Merck, CitiBank, Bayer
Creative Arts will be represented by a group of individuals working in a range of creative environments and imaginative expression such as: drama/theater, music, dance and visual arts including drawing, painting, sculpture, crafts, printmaking and photography. Digital art, animation, film, interior design and graphic design also fits in visual art.
- Are you a creative thinker with the need to create or express your creativity through various media?
- Do you have patience, concentration and attention to details?
- Do you enjoy networking, team working and collaborating with others?
- Do you like to work independently or collaborating with others?
- Do you like and have the ability to draw? (realistic, constructive, memory and imagination? perspective and proportions?)
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: INTP, INFP, INFJ, ENFP, ENTP, ENFJ, ENTJ
Possible careers in this area include: Actor, Producer, Photographer, Web Designers, Sculpture, Art therapist, Fashion Designer, Dancer.
Examples of companies worldwide: National London Theater, MGM, Disney, Art curator, TV broadcaster, photographer, Zurich Ballet, Podcaster.
Digital media experts develop digitized content that can be transmitted over many online vehicles (e.g. social media, online magazines, personal websites) and via computer networks. This can include text, audio, video, and graphics. News from a TV network, newspaper, magazine, or that is presented on a website or blog, can fall into this category.
- Do you have a combination of logical, reasoning and creative skills?
- Do you have strong analytical, creative and project management skills?
- Do you have strong communication and collaboration skills?
- Are you a fast thinker and solution-driven?
- Are you interested in researching topics in the technology field?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: INFJ, INTJ, INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTP
Possible careers are: Advertising Manager, Animator, Art Director, Computer Programmer, Digital Audio Technician, Digital Graphic Artist, Digital Imaging Manager, Digital Video Editor, Graphic Designer, Blogger, Influencer, Content developer, Online Journalist, Multimedia Communication Specialist
Examples of companies worldwide: Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter and Microsoft.
Digital technologies are electronic tools, systems, devices and resources that generate, store or process data. These include social media, online gaming, multimedia, cloud computing and mobile devices. Digital technology enables information to be compressed on small devices and quickens data transmission speeds, it transforms how people communicate, learn and work.
- Are you interested in new trends in technology?
- Are you interested in programming and web development?
- Do you have strong project management skills?
- Do you enjoy working with data and have strong analytical skills?
- Do you enjoy working as part of a team and collaborating with others?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: INTJ, ISTP, INTP, ENTJ
Possible jobs in Digital Technology: Computer System Analyst (this job is all about understanding how a computer system can best serve a specific company), Database Administrator, Software Developer, Web Developer, Computer Programmer.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Apple, CISCO, Microsoft, IBM, Google
Educators, Trainers, Coaches and Counsellors are knowledgeable in their subject, communicate new information, inspire trust and confidence, motivate learners, respond to individual differences in diverse learners, and employ different teaching/ training/coaching/counselling methods that result in higher personal development.
- Are you caring and have empathy with others?
- Are you able to communicate with people in a very clear, calm and effective way?
- Are you able to inspire people with confidence and motivate them?
- Are you patient, determined and persistent?
- Do you have a strong interest in a subject that you like to share with others?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: INFJ, ISFP, ENFP, ENTP, ESFJ, ENFJ
Possible careers in this field are: Day Care and/or Kindergarden Teacher, Primary School Teacher, Secondary School Teacher (various subjects), University Professor, Tutor, Administrator, Human Resources, Corporate Trainer, Corporate Coach, Life Coach, School Counselors, University Counselors.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Schools, Universities, Private Clinics, Companies, Private Office.
Engineering is the practical application of pure science and technology, such as physics or chemistry, in the construction of complex structures such as engines, bridges, buildings, mines, ships, chemical plants and computer system.
Some STEM jobs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) fall under this category and are in demand careers that are paving the way for the future. STEM jobs can be described as careers where “STEM workers use their knowledge of science, technology, engineering, or math to try to understand how the world works and to solve problems.”
- Do you enjoy building or fixing things?
- Are you detail oriented and enjoy long-term projects?
- Do you have a strong analytical mind and a desire to learn and solve problems?
- Do you enjoy working within a team and collaborating with others?
Possible careers within this field are engineers in: Aerospace, Agricultural, Automotive, Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Draft and Design, Electrical, Environmental, Geological, Marine, Materials, Mechanical, Petroleum, Software, Robotics, Structural Engineer
Examples of companies worldwide are: Apple, Dell, Boeing, Airbus, IBM, John Deere, NASA, ABB, BAE, GE, Texas Instruments
Architecture is the art, the science and the business of designing buildings and other structures.
- Do you like design?
- Are you interested in building models?
- Can you draw?
- Can you visualize projects in your mind?
- Do you enjoy historic and innovative buildings?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in these career fields: ISTJ, INTJ, ISTP, INTP, ESTP, ENTP, ESTJ, ENTJ.
Possible careers in Architecture are: Architect, Landscape Architect
Examples of companies worldwide are: Gensler, Aedas, Sweco Sweden, Stantec, Le Corbusier
Entrepreneurs are innovative risk-takers who seek to organise, manage and assume the risks of running their own business venture.
- Do you have lots of business ideas?
- Are you a risk-taker, an innovator and a creative thinker?
- Are you motivated and focused to complete projects from start to finish?
- Are you inspirational, resourceful and resilient?
- Are you an effective communicator?
Possible careers as an entrepreneur: business-owners and self-employed people in companies providing products and/or services.
Examples of companies are: Uber, Airbnb, Prezi Swisslinx, Invisibobble, TradePlus24.
Management Consultants provide expert knowledge to a third party for a fee. Consulting is most often used when a company needs an outside expert opinion regarding a business decision such as entering a new market, acquiring a company, expanding a product range.
- Do you have strong leadership, interpersonal and communication (both oral and written) skills?
- Are you service-oriented and have the ability to work as part of a team?
- Do you enjoy problem solving and planning ability?
- Are you analytical and logical thinker?
- Do you have the ability to cope with pressure and challenges?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in these career fields: ISTP, ENTJ, ENFP.
Possible careers in this field are: Business Analyst, Marketing Consultant, Human Resources Consultant, Business Owners and Self-employed people in companies providing products and/or services.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Ernst & Young, Deloitte, PWC, McKinsey & Co.
Hospitality and Tourism Professionals manage, market and operate accommodations, restaurants, events and travel related services.
Sponsorship & Event Management involves the creation and development of small to large-scale events, such as conferences and conventions, networking platforms, ceremonies, formal parties, dinners and concerts. These events can be for corporate or private purposes.
- Do you enjoy planning, organizing and managing activities for people?
- Are you friendly, outgoing and like to collaborate with others?
- Are you detail oriented and have strong time management skills?
- Are you creative and good with languages?
- Do you enjoy networking and travelling?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ESFP, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ
Possible careers in this field are: Banquet & Conference Management, Food & Beverage Management, Resort Management, Restaurant Management, Kitchen Chef, Event Planner, Wedding Planner, Event Social Media Coordinator, Marketing and Communications Manager.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Hotel chains (Hyatt, Marriott), Zurich Tourism, Formula 1, Quintessentially
Lawyers advise and represent individuals, businesses or government agencies on legal topics or disputes; research and analyze legal problems, present facts in writing or verbally to their clients or others and argue on their behalf.
- Are you persistent and have the power to persuade?
- Do you have strong oral and written communication skills?
- Are you an analytical and a logical thinker?
- Are you an avid reader and enjoy research?
- Are you detail oriented?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ISFJ, INTJ, INTP, ESFP, ESTJ
There are many areas in which lawyers work including Corporate Law, Environmental Law, Criminal Law, Family Law, Contract Law, Civil Law, Judiciary Court, Prosecutors, Defenders.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Linklaters, Clifford Chance, Axiom Global, Baker & McKenzie law, Sullivan & Cromwell.
Health professionals plan, manage and provide information about health, therapy, diagnosis and support within a wide range of health organisations e.g. hospitals, clinics, surgeries.
- Do you enjoy caring for the wellbeing of people or animals and are you committed to work 100% of your time and dedicate yourself and your life to others?
- Can you cope well under pressure?
- Can you cope with compassion, empathy, understanding, competence, justice and respect at the same time?
- Are you a good communicator?
- Do you pay attention to detail and have an excellent memory?
Possible careers in this field are: Doctors (Physicians), Dentists, Nurses, Pharmacists, Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics, Veterinarians and careers in the Biomedical field.
Psychologists (Clinical, Occupational and Organisational) and Social Workers
Psychologists are interested in the scientific study of the mind and behavior. They can work in many different sub-fields including cognitive, clinical, developmental, forensic, neuropsychology and many more.
- Do you have the empathy to deal with people in distress?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Are you a good in communication and listening skills?
- Are you able to have an accurate, logical and methodical approach?
- Do you have a problem-solving ability and patience with others?
Possible careers in this field are: Clinical Psychologist, Neuropsychologist, Cognitive Psychologist.
Students with the following personality types may be interested in these career fields: ISFJ, INFJ, INTJ, ISFP, INFP, ESFP, ENFP, ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ
Examples of companies in both Medical and Psychology worldwide are: Hospitals, Clinics, ONGS, Private Clinics, University Hospitals
Public administrators work in various sectors to improve public services in areas such as health, education, and transport.
International Development aims to improve the quality of life in developing countries by working in the public sector, commercial sector and with governments and NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations). They may study the broad field of international development or a more specific field such as health, education, or business and then apply their skills to international development.
International Relations manage the diplomatic and business relationships between and among countries.
NGOs are non-profit, citizen-based groups that function independently of governments.Two broad categories of NGOs are Operational NGOs (which focus on developmental projects) and Advocacy NGOs (which are organized to promote particular causes).
- Are you interested in global news and current affairs?
- Do you care about assisting others, establishing and maintaining interpersonal skills?
- Are you able to solve problems creatively?
- Are you a good listener?
- Are you a strong negotiator?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: INFJ, INTP, ENFP, ENFJ
Possible careers in this field are: Law Enforcement, Non-Profit Administration, Diplomat, Politician, Public Affair Consultants, Social Researcher, United Nations careers, International Volunteer.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Doctors without Borders, GreenPeace, Barefoot College, UNICEF, Embassies
Sales involves selling products, goods and services to customers. Sales representatives work with clients and potential clients to understand what they want, create solutions, inform customers of features and benefits and ensure a smooth sales process.
Marketing involves planning programs to understand what customers want to buy and at what price, and to subsequently generate interest in a product or service, working with art/advertising, sales agents and financial staff.
Communications involves developing and managing the internal and external communications strategy of a company or client, including the brand.
- Do you have strong leadership, interpersonal and communication (both oral and written) skills?
- Do you have the ability to cope with pressure and challenges?
- Are you service-oriented, an active listener and have the ability to work as part of a team?
- Are you a natural leader with resilience and persuasive skills?
- Are you goal oriented and result driven?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ENFP, ENTP, ESTJ, ENFJ, ENTJ
Possible careers in this field are: Business Development, Sales Representatives, Sales Managers, Sales Support, Product & Brand Management, Account Management, Trade Marketing, Key Account Manager, Advertising, Media Buyer, Product Development, Brand Management, Market Researcher, Internal Communications, Public Relations, Online Marketing and Customer Relationship Marketing.
Examples of companies worldwide are: Dentsu, Deloitte Digital, General Mills, Heineken, COCA-COLA, Nestle, Pepsico, Unilever, L’Oreal.
Scientists plan, conduct and develop scientific research across a range of areas from Physical Sciences (Physics, Kinetics, Mechanics, Electromagnetics, Thermodynamics, Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Astrophysics) to Life Sciences (Biology, Botany, Zoology) to Earth Sciences (Geology, Meteorology, Astronomy).
- Are you curious, inquisitive and a problem solver?
- Do you enjoy research and lab work?
- Are you strong in math?
- Do you have strong analytical and observational skills?
- Do you demonstrate organisational and communication skills?
Possible careers in this field are: Biomedical Scientist, Microbiologist, Physicist, Chemist, Zoologist, Astronomer, Laboratory Researcher, Forensic Scientist.
Examples of companies worldwide are Johnson & Johnson, Monsanto, Procter and Gamble, Eli Lilly.
Sports, Health, and Fitness professionals work in relation to active pursuits surrounding industries of health, exercise, leisure and sports entertainment.
- Are you interested in helping others achieve their goals?
- Do you enjoy physical activity and striving to be as healthy as possible?
- Do you like to motivate and inspire others?
- Do you like to be part of a team?
- Are you interested in human biology and/or business management?
Students with the following personality types may be interested in this career field: ISFJ, ISFP, INFP, ENFP
Possible careers in this field are: Sports Agents, Sports Business Manager, Sports Marketing, Coach, Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapist, Sports and Fitness Nutritionist, Personal Trainer, Health Coach, Instructor, Kinesiology, Researcher, Occupational Therapist, Osteopath.
Examples of companies worldwide are: schools, sports teams, NIKE, ADIDAS, health fitness centers, physiotherapy clinics.
Once registration is open you can make your selections using the link below:
Registration will open on March 4 at 11:55