Bosomtwe International School (BIS) is a registered non-profit organization of the Ibrahim Oubda Education Foundation (IOEF) which officially started in 2007 and is a recognized non-governmental organization (NGO).
Zurich International School has had a partnership with BIS for the past 15 years. This has provided beneficial learning opportunities for students on all 3 campuses to learn more about the culture and traditions of the school and Ghana. To take this learning impact further, our Middle and Upper School students have had the opportunity to visit BIS over the years through Service Learning Projects.
BIS students attend the school free of charge and the continued financial support from Zurich International School plays such an important role in the annual budget of the school. This budget assists paying the teachers a salary, providing uniforms for the children, providing all educational materials and maintenance of the school campus facilities.
Through these learning experiences we truly embrace the ZIS Mission Statement of Learn, Care, Challenge and Lead. Students embrace how their efforts have impacted the students in Ghana and how BIS Ghana students impact our learning. Thank you to all the ZIS families and school community that continue to support this partnership.
What is the BIS Partnership?
- The BIS partnership is an ongoing commitment to a mutually-beneficial educational project between the communities of ZIS and BIS.
- ZIS provides continued financial support with a long term goal of establishing a self-sustaining financial model for the operational cost of BIS. In the early days, these efforts were primarily to help fund facilities and infrastructure, however since 2017 the focus has been on the recruitment, development and retention of high-quality faculty and staff.
- ZIS provides strategic thinking and educational support, including faculty / administrator visits.
- ZIS teachers, students, families and alumni benefit from the experience of direct service learning opportunities at BIS. Students in Grades 8, 10 and 12 are selected to travel to Ghana on a ZIS service trip and over the years more than 300 have had amazing and often life-changing experiences supporting and learning from members of the BIS community in this way.
- The partnership is an all-school project uniting the four ZIS campuses and providing a focus for student and community action.
How Can I Help?
Events and Volunteering
The ZIS community supports the operating costs of BIS, including teacher salaries, through the following fundraising events which are organized by students, teachers and community volunteers:
- The Ghana Cup, an all school event
- The Challenge Run at the Lower School
- The Middle School student-led dinner
- An Upper School student-led Ghana Club event, most recently the Ghana Basketball Bash