Bosomtwe International School (BIS), formerly Bosomtwe Community School, is a low fee-paying private school in the Ashanti region in Ghana. In the past 15 years, thanks to the support of the ZIS community, the school has grown from 20 children being taught in a small wooden hut to a purpose-built modern school campus capable of accommodating over 120 students. The school is governed by the proprietor, and ZIS teacher, Ibrahim Oubda. The "Ibrahim Oubda Education Foundation" is a registered charitable foundation in Ghana. BIS is driven by the mission - Respect, Knowledge, Independence.
What is the BIS Partnership?
- The BIS partnership is an ongoing commitment to a mutually-beneficial educational project between the communities of ZIS and BIS.
- ZIS provides continued financial support with a long term goal of establishing a self-sustaining financial model for the operational cost of BIS. In the early days, these efforts were primarily to help fund facilities and infrastructure, however since 2017 the focus has been on the recruitment, development and retention of high-quality faculty and staff.
- ZIS provides strategic thinking and educational support, including faculty / administrator visits.
- ZIS teachers, students, families and alumni benefit from the experience of direct service learning opportunities at BIS. Students in Grades 8, 10 and 12 are selected to travel to Ghana on a ZIS service trip and over the years more than 300 have had amazing and often life-changing experiences supporting and learning from members of the BIS community in this way.
- The partnership is an all-school project uniting the four ZIS campuses and providing a focus for student and community action.
How Can I Help?
Events and Volunteering
The ZIS community supports the operating costs of BIS, including teacher salaries, through the following fundraising events which are organized by students, teachers and community volunteers:
- The Ghana Cup, an all school event, this year on May 5
- The Lower School Talent Show, this year on March 31
- The Middle School Student Council Dinner, this year on April 3
- The Upper School ExtravaGHANzA, this year on January 18
Match and More
The ZIS Community subsidizes the operational cost of BIS through the Tuition "Match and More" Model while encouraging ownership within the BIS community and rewarding high student attendance rates.